Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Stay-At-Home Dad

I spend quite a bit of time on planes and waiting in airports so I have the opportunity to interact with a number of people. Those opportunities will increase over the next few months as I begin my book tour.

Recently on a flight from Atlanta to Richmond, I sat next to a lady who was traveling from Denver to Richmond because her job was transferring her. She initiated a conversation that became more interesting as we talked. She was traveling with her cat. I asked if it was just her and her cat and she informed me that she had a husband and two girls who would be joining her the following week. I sat thinking to myself. Since she is being transferred I assume her husband is either being transferred or will be looking for a job. I finally asked her “Is your husband being transferred or will he be looking for a job?” Her answer was priceless: “My husband has been a stay-at-home-dad for six years.” I was so impressed as I informed her that when my children were small that would have been taboo. She said that sometimes her husband does get the strange questions such as “When are you going to get a real job?” The response to that is he has a real job of taking care of his children and household. I would give him the title of Chief Household Officer (CHO) – a very important job which has been held by women for years.

She felt her husband had done a wonderful job over the years and she was very proud of him. It was a decision that they discussed in detail and arrived at based on what was best for the family. I would venture to say, however, that it takes a man who is very secure with himself to undertake that role. Though there has been progress, society has not fully embraced it. There are still those questions, both asked and unasked. It is my hope that more men will undertake that role when it is in the best interest of the family. Are that many more of you out there? I welcome comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment